The Project Challenge
The purpose of the Bongani / Victoria Mxenge Precinct planning project was to address the primary need for housing as well as associated social and economic opportunities to enable the creation of a more sustainable living environment.
The objectives of the project were:
- The reconfiguration / re-planning of Victoria Mxenge and Bongani Precincts
- Creating a sustainable living environment and thriving community life
- Creating spaces for shelter
- Rationalising the storm water drainage system
- Improving access to schools and dealing with security threat posed by gangs to pedestrians.
Principles & Approach
The principles adopted by the project team included:
- Robustness in structure and texture
- Encourage walkability
- Promote access and human comfort
- Ensure dignity and quality of urban space making
- Linkage and integration of public and private spaces
From a design point of view, the approach was one of simplicity, using simple means, measures and materials to achieve a good quality space. From a process point of view, it was necessary to embark on a participative and inclusive process which relied on local input at the planning, design and implementation stages.